Thursday 22 September 2016

Top find of the week


Top Find:

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2016/sep/17/being-cute-mara-wilson-growing-up-hollywood?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=fb_a-film_b-gdnfilm#link_time=1474100279

This source is about Mara Wilson who played the 'cute little girl' in Matilda and also in Mrs Doubtfire. This article explores the ways in which female lead roles can be affected due to certain changes. For example: as soon as Mara hit puberty and got older, she was no longer known as that cute little girl from Matlida, instead she recieved less call backs and no one was interested in her playing a good role.

Mara Wilson in Matilda in 1996, and todayThis source helps me with my SSRP because it relates to how female leads can differ deending on how you look or what age you are. This then contributes to the reasoning of why there are a lack of female lead roles in popular US films. However, I will use films such as: Ghostbusters, Room and Bridesmaids to show how using female lead roles is a positive thing, although it recieves a lot of controversy. 


Top Tip: 

I found using books for my secondary research really helped me gain information about female roles in the past, allowing me to contrast the female roles in US popular films now. My focus films help me show eveidence of how there are more films today trying to give different representations of women in female lead roles today, for example: giving females a stronger character, rather than your typical damsel in distress.

2 comments:

  1. Good progress Emily. I think your title needs to be something like - Strong Female Characters in Contemporary US Cinema. Use Geena Davis and other secondary sources to show how these films are still unusual. Did you see Emma Watson talking about this on Friday (I think), and the response from The Sun newspaper? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marion! :) Yes, I agree, that sounds like a good title! I will definitely be using Geena Davis for my secondary research. Shall I be using it to support that there is a lack of films like Room, TSOTL and ghostbusters etc? and how there should be more films like this with female lead roles that break that stereotypical mould of a female role? :)

    ReplyDelete