Thursday 10 November 2016

Books I Have Found & Will Use

Contemporary American Cinema 


  • This book gives case studies on women in contemporary american films. A useful case study is on a old film starring Madonna, called Desperately Seeking Susan. This case study states how women are interpreted the wrong way. 













Female Spectators


  • This book contains factual information focuses on how the image of women in film are represented. The book also includes suggestions on how we can change the image of women in film in the future. Yes I will use this secondary source as it is a vital piece of research that allows me to explore in more depth how women are represented in film. This then implements my subject area as I am looking into strong female characters in US contemporary films.  










Feminist Film Theory


  • The book has great relevance to my topic and investigation. The context of the book explains how women provide trouble or sexual interludes for the male characters or are not present at all. Even when there is a female lead role, her character is generally shown as confused, helpless, in danger, passive or purely as a sexual human being. It also goes onto explain how it is very odd how women in most films are represented this way. This is called sex-role stereotyping. This provides evidence for my key points I am making about the representation of female characters strength in films. This is why I chose my three films as my primary research as they support my idea of their female lead roles breaking that stereotypical mould you see in most mainstream films today.




Working Girls



  • Page 70 in this book explains how strong women in film are seen as 'the stuff of fantasy'. However, in my investigation my argument states how there should me more female characters like my focus film and supporting films. This then shows an authentic female role through the characteristics of strength and independence, rather than having a strong female role, however over sexualising her character, therefore making the character become more of a sexual/male gaze. 










No comments:

Post a Comment